handing child moneyThis is the first post in a series of articles which will discuss dealing with unpaid child support in Melbourne, Florida. I consider it important to address this issue as the topic of child support often creates tension and confusion between parents. It is not uncommon for a mother or a father to be under a misunderstanding as to what rights they do, and do not, have. I am writing this series, therefore, with the goal of providing information which will help people to better understand their situation. It is also my goal to provide information which will assist with the selection of an attorney. If you or a family member are in need of assistance then contact my office today to speak with a lawyer.

I will be addressing a number of topics over my coming articles. Issues which I will analyze include:

  • How Courts deal with individuals who do not pay their child support
  • The process for holding a parent in contempt of court
  • Requesting a child support modification

I have chosen to address these issues for multiple reasons. First, an individual who does not pay their child support can be held in contempt of court. This can result in jail time, being required to pay the other side’s legal fees, and more. Also, in some situations, a Florida parent may find themselves charged with a felony for nonpayment. Second, understanding the process of holding a parent in contempt allows one to manage their expectations as the matter moves forward. Third, if you are a parent and are struggling to pay your support then it is important that you request a modification as soon as possible. Doing so can help to prevent you from going into arrears.

One point I will stress in each of these articles is the need to speak with an attorney if you are having a dispute with your child’s other parent. Many individuals make the mistake of allowing such disagreements to spill over into other aspects of their parenting. This is not good for the child for several reasons. By contacting counsel, and initiating the legal process, you can resolve the matter and focus on the important business of parenting. I am a Melbourne child support lawyer who assists with such matters. If you are in need of assistance then contact us online or by telephone today to schedule an initial consultation. We look forward to speaking with you. I also service clients in the Brevard County cities of Titusville, Cocoa, Palm Bay, Grant, Valkaria, and Rockledge, as well as in the Indian River County areas of Fellsmere, Sebastian, Vero Beach, Indian River Shores, and Orchid.