Child with suitcaseThis is the first post in a series which will discuss the possibility of unmarried parents moving a child outside the state of Florida. I have decided to write on this topic due to the fact that many people now have children out of wedlock. Also, the changing nature of the workplace may make people more likely to have to move. By understanding your rights as a parent, you can avoid legal problems further down the road. The goal of my coming articles is to provide information which will help people to better understand their situation. It is also my goal to provide information which will assist with the selection of a family law attorney. If you or a loved one are in need of assistance then contact my office today to speak with a lawyer.

I will address a number of topics over my coming articles. The issues which I will analyze include:

  • How the establishment of paternity impacts child relocations
  • The impact of a child moving out of state when there is no court order in place
  • The impact of moving a child out of state when a court order is in place

There are multiple reasons why I have chosen to address these topics. First, if paternity has not been established then the biological father will have no rights and obligations when it comes to the child. This means that a mother would be free to relocate with her son or daughter. The father, however, would still have options. Second, while a parent may relocate when no court order is in place, they may find themselves quickly having to return to Florida. Finally, removing a child from the state when a court order is in place can have serious consequences for the offending parent.

If you are considering moving your child away from Florida, or are opposing your ex’s effort to do so, then it is crucial that you speak with an attorney as soon as possible. Few family law cases cause as much disagreement as do those involving a move away. Retaining counsel sooner, rather than later, can help you to ensure that your rights remain protected. As a Melbourne child relocation lawyer, I am able to assist with such matters. Contact my office today to schedule an initial consultation. We also service clients in the Brevard County cities of Titusville, Cocoa, Palm Bay, Grant, Valkaria, and Rockledge, as well as in the Indian River County areas of Fellsmere, Sebastian, Vero Beach, Indian River Shores, and Orchid.