Little boy with suitcaseThis article is being written to conclude and recap my series on the handling of cases in which an unmarried parent wishes to relocate their child outside the state of Florida. I felt it necessary to write on this issue for two reasons. First, many parents are not sure of their rights and obligations when they are not married to their counterpart. Second, many are unsure of the legal process when a comes to moving a child. The goal of my recent articles has been to provide information which will help people to more fully understand their options. It has also been my goal to provide information which will assist with the selection of a family law attorney. If you or a loved one are in need of assistance then contact my office today to speak with a lawyer.

I have addressed multiple topics over my recent posts. The issues which I have analyzed include:

I addressed these three topics for specific reasons. First, parentage must be established before the Court can rule on issues regarding relocation, visitation, support, etc. This is due to the fact that, without the establishment of paternity, a father is considered to be a parent in the eyes of the law. Second, while unmarried parents may move their child out of state when no custody order is in place, it is important to understand the consequences of doing so. These consequences can potentially include the moving parent being required to return to Florida, the non-moving parent receiving custody of the child, and more. Finally, moving a child out of state, in violation of an existing custody order, can result in the offending parent being found in Contempt of Court. A finding of Contempt can have serious consequences, including incarceration.

One point I stressed throughout each of these articles is that parents should contact a Melbourne child relocation lawyer immediately if they are involved in a case where their son or daughter may move out of state. Such matters involve complicated legal issues and are often quite contentious. By dealing with the situation through appropriate means, one can ensure that their rights are fully protected. I devote my practice to the handling of family law and I pride myself on providing quality service. Contact us today to schedule an initial consultation. We also service clients in the Brevard County cities of Titusville, Cocoa, Palm Bay, Grant, Valkaria, and Rockledge, as well as in the Indian River County areas of Fellsmere, Sebastian, Vero Beach, Indian River Shores, and Orchid.