Man swinging childThis is the final post in my series addressing the rights of unmarried parents in Brevard County, Florida and what they may expect during a child custody dispute. I began this series because while many couples know that child custody issues will be worked out in a divorce but unmarried couples with children often do not know what to expect.

During the course of this series I have emphasized the importance of going through the Court system and formally obtaining a time share agreement. Too often, unmarried couples attempt to save money by coming to an informal agreement between themselves. This often results in an amicable relationship breaking down further down the line. Going through the court process and obtaining a Court order protects the rights of both parents and their relationship to their child.

Topics that are important for couples to address in court include:

I have addressed each of these topics in detail throughout the course of this series. It is my hope that couples will address these issues while their child is relatively young, so to save money, time, and stress farther down the road, in the event of a dispute.

One point I cannot stress enough is that you should contact an attorney immediately if you are an unmarried parent in a child custody dispute. Unfortunately many parents engage in “self help” and refuse to share the child with the other parent. This is detrimental for the child and such behavior will weigh against the withholding parent when the case does go to Court. I am a Melbourne family law attorney handling such matters. Contact my office today to schedule an initial consultation.

I also service clients in the Brevard County cities of Titusville, Cocoa, Palm Bay, Grant, Valkaria, and Rockledge, as well as in the Indian River County areas of Fellsmere, Sebastian, Vero Beach, Indian River Shores, and Orchid.