Child receiving moneyThis posts begins a new series on how Brevard County Courts deal with parents who do not pay their child support. I have decided to write on this topic due to the fact that many parents are often under a misunderstanding as to their rights or obligations in such matters. The goal of my coming posts is to provide parents with information that will help them have an understanding of how to deal with their situation. Having such an understanding will help one to make a more informed choice when selecting a child support lawyer. Contact my Melbourne office today to speak with an attorney.

I will be addressing several topics over my coming posts. Issues I will look at include:

  • The consequences for non-payment of child support
  • Why one should contact the other parent immediately if they are behind on their payments
  • Why a parent should seek a child support modification rather than engaging in “self help”
  • Why parents should not withhold visitation over the non-payment of child support

These are important topics for multiple reasons. First, many make the mistake of thinking that they will simply explain to the Judge why they did not pay the support and that the matter will not be seen as serious. The truth of the situation, however, is that the Court will expect a paying parent to prioritize support over almost all other things. Second, if one who has fallen behind on payments makes an effort to work with the other parent then the Court is more likely to give the offending parent a second chance. Third, many parents err by reducing their support payments when their income goes down without first gaining a Court ordered reduction. This type of “self help” can result in a parent facing a Contempt of Court hearing. Finally, a parent who withholds visitation due to support may find themselves defending against a request to change child custody. By having a better understanding of the issues a parent can make better choices when dealing with the non-payment of support.

One point that I cannot stress enough is that you should contact an attorney immediately if you have either fallen behind on your child support payments or if you are not receiving Court ordered child support. Counsel will help you to understand your options and to help you get a plan in place which deals with the situation in the most expedient way possible. As a Melbourne child support lawyer I regularly assist parents who are either behind on their support or who are owed money. Contact my office today to schedule an initial consultation. My office also services clients in the Brevard County cities of Titusville, Cocoa, Palm Bay, Grant, Valkaria, and Rockledge, as well as in the Indian River County areas of Fellsmere, Sebastian, Vero Beach, Indian River Shores, and Orchid.