Scared child holding parentThis is the first post in a series which will deal with filing an emergency request to change child custody in Melbourne, Florida and elsewhere in Brevard County. I have decided to write on this topic due to the fact that many parents are unsure of what to do in situations and, as a result, one may be unsure of how to proceed. The goal of my upcoming articles is to provide information which will allow one to make an informed decision when selecting an attorney. If you need assistance then contact my office today to speak with a lawyer.

I will be addressing several topics over my coming articles. Issues which I intend to analyze include:

  • Signs that your child may be in a dangerous situation
  • Whether it is appropriate to contact Child Protective Services
  • The steps in filing for an emergency time share modification
  • What to expect from the process

These are important topics for a parent to understand. First, there are times when one’s child may be in a dangerous situation but the signs are not readily apparent. It is important that a concerned parent understand the signs of drug use, physical abuse, etc. Second, it is important that one not make a frivolous claim to Child Protective Services. Unsubstantiated claims may result in one having their custodial rights reduced. Third, it is possible to gain an expedited Court hearing if the matter is truly an emergency. Finally, knowing what to expect from the process will help to ensure that it will go as smoothly as possible.

It is important that you contact a family law attorney as soon as possible if you believe your child is in danger. The longer you wait to speak with counsel then the more likely the Court is to believe that there is no actual danger; it goes against common sense that a parent would wait to take steps to protect their child. By speaking with counsel immediately you can gain a better understanding of your situation, you can understand all of your options, and you can make sure that you are following a sound approach to dealing with the situation. As a Melbourne child custody lawyer I regularly handle such matters. Contact my office today to schedule an initial consultation. My office also services clients in the Brevard County cities of Titusville, Cocoa, Palm Bay, Grant, Valkaria, and Rockledge, as well as in the Indian River County areas of Fellsmere, Sebastian, Vero Beach, Indian River Shores, and Orchid.