drug exchangeThis article is being written to begin a series on how child custody is impacted in Melbourne and other Florida areas when a parent is facing drug charges. I consider it important to address this topic as, for obvious reasons, many parents are unsure as to how they should proceed in such situations. Taking matters into one’s own hands, and engaging in self-help, can actually harm their case more than it helps it. I am, therefore, writing this series with the goal of providing information which will help parents to better understand their situation. It is also my goal to provide information which will assist with the selection of an attorney. If you or a family member are in need of assistance then contact my office today to speak with a lawyer.

I will be addressing a number of topics over my coming articles. Issues which I will analyze include:

  • The question of “can a parent lose custody for drugs?”
  • How drug-related arrests impact child custody cases
  • Gaining custody if the other parent has been arrested for drugs
  • Requesting supervised visitation from the Court

I have chosen to address these topics for multiple reasons. First, a parent can most certainly lose custody for drug use. How the Court will proceed, however, is always going to depend on the specifics of a given case. Second, if a parent has been arrested then the Court will often entertain a change of custody request on an expedited basis. Third, understanding the process of obtaining custody is important to ensuring that your case is handled correctly. Finally, Courts will often impose supervised visitation if there is reason to believe that a parent is regularly under the influence of narcotics. This is due to the fact that it impairs their ability to care for the child.

An important point I will be stressing in each of these articles is the need to contact an attorney as soon as possible if you believe your son or daughter is in danger. Counsel will take immediate steps to help you with the situation. These steps can include filing a request to modify custody and requesting an expedited hearing. As a Melbourne child custody lawyer, I am familiar with the handling of such matters. I devote my practice to the handling of domestic relations law and my office will give your case the attention it deserves. Contact us online or by telephone today to schedule an initial consultation. We also service clients in the Brevard County cities of Titusville, Cocoa, Palm Bay, Grant, Valkaria, and Rockledge, as well as in the Indian River County areas of Fellsmere, Sebastian, Vero Beach, Indian River Shores, and Orchid.