handcuffed with drugsThis article is being written to conclude and recap my series on how criminal drug charges impact child custody in Melbourne and other Florida areas. I felt it was important to write on this topic as, for obvious reasons, parents often are unsure of what steps to take after their counterpart has been arrested. In such situations it is important to take immediate action in order to ensure the best interests of the child. The goal of my recent articles was to provide information which will help people to understand their options and which would also assist them with selecting an attorney. If you are in need of assistance then contact my office today to speak with a lawyer.

I addressed a number of topics over my recent articles. Issues which I analyzed include:

There are multiple reasons why I chose to address these topics. First, a parent can have their time with the child reduced, and even suspended completely, if it is in the best interest of the child. For obvious reasons, there are instances where drug use by a parent can place a child in danger. This means, therefore, that a parent can lose custody of their child for drugs. Second, if the other parent has been arrested for narcotics then it is important that one take immediate action. This is due to the fact that the current custody order will remain in effect until modified by the Court. Third, the Court will often hear a change of custody request on an expedited basis after the arrest of a parent. Finally, the Court may be willing to grant supervised visitation until such time that the offending parent can establish that they are truly drug-free.

An important point that I stressed in each of these articles is that it is important to speak with an attorney as soon as possible if you or a family member are involved in such a matter. Many parents make the mistake of engaging in “self-help” after their counterpart has been arrested. This can include, for example, withholding court-ordered visitation. Engaging in such conduct, however, can sometimes hurt one’s case more than it helps it. The better course of action typically is to speak with an attorney as soon as possible so that they may file a Petition with the Court.

I am a Melbourne child custody lawyer who devotes her practice to the handling of domestic relations law. I understand the urgency of such matters and my office will give your case the attention it deserves. Contact us online or by telephone today to schedule an initial consultation. We also service clients in the Brevard County cities of Titusville, Cocoa, Palm Bay, Grant, Valkaria, and Rockledge, as well as in the Indian River County areas of Fellsmere, Sebastian, Vero Beach, Indian River Shores, and Orchid.