child in carThis is the first post in a series which will discuss situations in which a Melbourne, Florida child is abducted or unlawfully withheld by a parent. I am writing on this topic as, for obvious reasons, parents may not know what steps to take when their counterpart is withholding the child. The goal of my next several articles will be to provide information which will help parents to fully understand understand their options. It is also my goal to provide information which will help people to make an informed decision when they are selecting a family law attorney. If you require assistance then contact my office today to speak with a lawyer.

I will be addressing several topics over my coming articles. Issues which I will analyze include:

  • How Melbourne residents should proceed when the child is not being returned
  • How one may request a “pick up” order from the Court
  • Attending the Court hearing after a Motion has been filed
  • Changing custody after the child has been returned

There are several reasons why parents in our area should understand these topics. First, a parent will only be considered to be unlawfully withholding the child if certain circumstances are present. Not all parent disagreements constitute “kidnapping.” Second, it is important to understand the process of filing for an order which commands that the child be returned. Third, knowing what to expect at the initial court hearing is crucial to ensuring that things go well. Fourth, depending on the circumstances it may be possible to modify your custody arrangement after the child has been returned.

One point I cannot stress enough is that you should contact a Melbourne child custody lawyer immediately if you believe that your ex is unlawfully withholding your son or daughter. It is vital that you do not take matters into your own hands and start a confrontation. Such conduct may result in the withholding parent receiving primary custody and in your being arrested. I have handled many cases where a parent refuses to return a child. Contact my office today to speak with an attorney.

My office also services clients in the cities of Titusville, Cocoa, Palm Bay, Grant, Valkaria, and Rockledge, as well as in the Indian River County areas of Fellsmere, Sebastian, Vero Beach, Indian River Shores, and Orchid.