Mother and daughterThis is the final post in my series discussing how a parent may file a Supplemental Petition with the Family Court asking for a modification of an existing time-share arrangement. I wrote this series because, as a child grows over time, the circumstances of both parents can change significantly. When a change to the status quo occurs then it can throw the entire family for a loop. It is my hope that with this series I was able to shed some light on what a parent can do if they believe a custody order needs to be changed.

The focus of this series has been on how the Courts will determine if a change needs to occur to the time-share agreement when parents cannot agree. It should be noted that a change to the time-share agreement can be made at any time, with ease, if both parents agree on the modification. This occurs all of the time due to a number of factors such as a parent obtains a new job, a parent is relocated out of state, a parent moves into a new school district, one parent gets remarried, or the child’s needs change as the child grows older.

The posts in this series have primarily focused on when a significant change has occurred to the status quo and the parents do not agree on how to handle it. Specific points of the process I have discussed include:

The need for a custody modification to a custody agreement may be brought on by a fairly mundane change to the life or circumstances of one or both parents. Or, in other instances, it is an emergency situation in which the health and safety of the child is at stake. Despite the reason for needing to change the custody order, when parents are not able to agree, then there is a high probability that the Court will need to get involved. Discussing your situation and options with a qualified family law attorney can help parents make the best decision for their children. Contact my office today to speak with a Melbourne child custody lawyer.

Our office also services clients in the Brevard County cities of Titusville, Cocoa, Palm Bay, Grant, Valkaria, and Rockledge, as well as in the Indian River County areas of Fellsmere, Sebastian, Vero Beach, Indian River Shores, and Orchid.