unhappy teenager with momThis post is being written to conclude and recap my series on the topic of whether children in Melbourne and other Florida areas can refuse visitation with a parent. I considered it important to address this topic due to the fact that such situations often cause confusion and tension between parents. Understanding what rights a child does, and does not have, is important to resolving the situation in a way that is consistent with the best interests of the youth. The goal of my recent articles has been to provide information which will help people to better understand their situation. It has also been my goal to provide information which will assist with the selection of an attorney. If you are in need of assistance then contact my office today to speak with a child custody lawyer.

I have addressed multiple topics over my recent articles. Topics which I have analyzed include:

There are multiple reasons why I chose to address these topics. First, while Courts may grant children discretion as to who they will spend their time with, visitation with a parent in some form will be required. If a child completely refuses to see their mother or father then the Judge may reduce the amount of decision-making authority which has been granted to the youth. Second, if a child is refusing to see their parent, then it may be necessary to file a Motion with the Court. The longer a parent allows a situation to go on then the more likely the Court is to consider it the “status quo.” Finally, if a parent is coaching their child to refuse visitation then it may be grounds to change custody in favor of the aggrieved parent.

One point I made in each of these articles is that it is important to contact an attorney as soon as possible if you are having difficulty in getting your child to follow a Court order. The longer the current situation is allowed to persist then the more likely the Court is to believe that you are accepting the circumstances. This can make the Court more reluctant to make a change. At best, you will need to explain to the Judge why you waited to take action. By taking immediate legal action you help to prevent this problem.

If you are in need of assistance then contact my office today to speak with a Melbourne child custody lawyer. I understand that this is a serious time in your life and my office will give your case the attention it deserves. I pride myself on providing quality service and I look forward to speaking with you. Contact us online or by telephone to schedule an initial consultation. We also service clients in the Brevard County cities of Titusville, Cocoa, Palm Bay, Grant, Valkaria, and Rockledge, as well as in the Indian River County areas of Fellsmere, Sebastian, Vero Beach, Indian River Shores, and Orchid.