Teenage girl ignoring fatherThis is the first post in a series of articles which will address the topic of whether a child can refuse visitation with a parent in Melbourne, Florida. I am writing on this issue due to the fact that what a child can do, and cannot do, often causes confusion and tension between parents. By understanding how Courts typically address such matters, parents can have a better grasp on their particular situation. The goal of my coming articles is to provide information which will assist parents with such matters. It is also my goal to provide information which will assist with the selection of an attorney. If you are in need of assistance then contact my office today to speak with a lawyer.

There are multiple topics which I will be addressing over the course of this series. Issues which I will go over include:

  • Whether a child can completely refuse visitation with a parent
  • Dealing with a child who is refusing to comply with visitation orders
  • Dealing with a parent who coaches a child to refuse visitation

I am addressing these particular topics for multiple reasons. First, while Courts may give older children discretion as to when visitation is exercised, Courts will not allow a child to completely ignore a visitation order. If a child attempts to do so then the Judge may put stricter rules in place. Second, if a child is refusing to follow visitation orders then there are certain ways in which it must be dealt with. It is strongly suggested that a parent not just “let it go” if they are being denied visitation. Finally, if a parent is coaching a child to refuse visitation then such conduct may result in the offending parent having their time with the child reduced.

If you are involved in a family law dispute then it is important that you retain representation as soon as possible. The longer you allow the situation to go on, then the more likely the Court is to consider it the “status quo.” This can result in the Judge ruling that the current situation is acceptable. I am a Melbourne child custody lawyer who devotes her practice to domestic relations cases. I understand that this is a serious time in your life and my office will give your case the attention it deserves. Contact us online or by telephone to speak with an attorney.

We also service clients in the Brevard County cities of Titusville, Cocoa, Palm Bay, Grant, Valkaria, and Rockledge, as well as in the Indian River County areas of Fellsmere, Sebastian, Vero Beach, Indian River Shores, and Orchid.